St Lawrence Church
Ever since Reverend Bisgby, in the 1850’s, persuaded Sir Charles Hardinge to give some land for the building of the school, the church and school in Bidborough have remained closely linked.
There are still folk living in the village who remember spending all their schooldays in the one school room (where Reception Class meets during the week and our Sparklers and Crèche gather on Sundays).
Many families are represented in both the school and the church, and it is a delight that we are able to welcome one another in these two key places in the community. As a church we use the school for Sunday-school groups, services, Harvest Lunches, and our new monthly CAMEO lunches.
Church members seek to support the school in a number of ways. Amanda Harris and Stephen Hills are Foundation Governors. Clare Masters and Stephen alternate in taking a weekly act of worship in the school and various church members help out during the week. Every month a prayer meeting is held in the library, open to all, and those who gather are always pleased to receive prayer requests. The church also gets involved at the Spring and Christmas Fayres.
The school’s motto ‘Faith in our Future’ reflects the desire that children grow in confidence in themselves and their place in the wider world, and also that they have a good understanding of the Christian faith, which is embedded in the foundational ethos of the school. For those who choose to embrace that faith in their own lives, there are always opportunities within the church-school life for worship, fellowship and learning.
You can read more about how our Christian character is reflected in our school in Our 2017 SIAMS inspection report.